Agile Solution Powers Lifesaving Work of National Cancer Institute
The National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP) is tasked with improving the lives of cancer patients by identifying better ways to treat, control and cure cancer. That’s a tall order, with 1.9 million Americans diagnosed with cancer every year according to the American Cancer Society.
CTEP coordinates the largest publicly funded oncology clinical trials organization in the world by collaborating with the research community, pharma/biotech industry and patient advocates. To meet this mission in a more streamlined, modernized way, CTEP needed an Information and Communication Technology-driven common enterprise-wide data warehouse to handle workflow, manage clinical information in a standardized and efficient manner and communicate with NCI programs and external research communities.
CTEP contracted with CTIS, Inc., a NITAAC CIO-SP3 Small Business Contract Holder and supplier of clinical informatics and other technical services-based solutions. CTIS’s clients include multiple institutes of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), academic medical institutes, health systems, foundations, and pharma/bio organizations. By ensuring active new anticancer agents are made available as rapidly and widely as possible for cancer patients, CTIS developed the CTEP Enterprise System (CTEP-ESYS). This flexible, modular, and user-friendly Agile solution directly supports CTEP in achieving its mission to increase care outcomes for cancer patients. CTEP-ESYS:
- Encompasses over 1,200 ongoing trials across 35 disease areas
- Monitors more than 600 active Investigational new drugs
- Connects over 9,100 research sites
- Features more than 22,000 active investigators and 1.4 million patient records
CTEP-ESYS consists of large data warehouses with over 25 applications and services supporting the cancer clinical trials infrastructure. It has become the primary data collection mechanism for CTEP’s vast clinical trials program and allows investigators and researchers to focus on scientific opportunity and patient safety. CTEP-ESYS currently has more than 50,000 active monthly users.
This game-changing system has allowed CTEP to:
- Increase the number of Investigational New Drug applications it manages
- Eliminate data redundancy throughout the oncology community
- Assure the security and confidentiality of proprietary and patient information
- Decrease the time it takes to submit applications to the Food and Drug Administration for approval
- Reduce the time it takes users to ship medicines, report adverse events and report to the FDA
- Provide broad patient access to clinical trials
This solution can be acquired under multiple task areas through the NITAAC CIO-SP3 Small Business IT services and solutions government-wide acquisition contract.
NITAAC provides any federal civilian or department of defense agency with Best in Class government-wide acquisition contracts to meet virtually every IT need. To learn more view our Contract Holder Capabilities page or call us at 1.888.773.6542.